Most companies do not know how to do find a “talent fit.” And, here are reasons why:
1. They do not know the top six traits in order of priority necessary for a good “fit.”
2. They do not look for the important character AND personality traits of a top performer.
3. They have not been trained to use a best practice recruiting system: funnel process, skills, and tools.
4. They do not think about how fast people need to ramp up – and the aptitude necessary for success.
How do we find the traits we require for a high-activity salesperson (as opposed to a major accounts sales team)?
1st … Identify the top character traits: – Honesty – Personal Responsibility – Hard Work Ethic Next, know the top personality traits that align with prospecting, closing, presentation, and high activity. They are: Goal-Orientation, Social Confidence, Social Drive
2nd … Sourcing Methods … Find best sources for candidates most likely to fit the character and personality traits targeted.
3rd … Recruiting Funnel Process Stage One: Screening (resumes, by phone: 5-12 minutes, by email, references) Stage Two: Personality Profiling (with EEO validated CraftProfile see http://www.craftprofiles.com) Also, Oxford Learning Inventory for learning style (also see http://www.craftprofiles.com) Stage Three: Structured Interviewing (a interviewer-scored 100 point questionnaire structured to look for the character and personality traits)
4th … Recruiting Process Tools and Skills (all of which should work toward identifying the necessary character and recruiting skills)
– Phone screening scripts
– Resume screening skills
– Profile analysis
– Interviewing skills
– Matching sheets showing +‘s and -‘s with regards to character and personality traits desired
… Recently, we installed this type of recruiting system in a company whose industry is showing a 22% drop year-to-date in sales. This company is presently 18% up year-to-date in sales, primarily due to recruiting more effectively right “talent fits” for their company. So, work at using the ideas you find helpful in the post. And … Do GREAT. Lance.